Bio

Monday, August 8, 2011

War Remains


In 2001, I went to the first of three "repatriation ceremonies" at Knight Field on the Yongsan Military Garrison in Seoul for the remains of UN personnel killed during the Korean War. 

When I look at these metal caskets covered with the blue UNC flag, I think about the two service members who were finally going home. For over 50 years, the remains of these two service members, missing in action since the Korean War, had only been known to God who had called them home. 

I think about the peace of mind and closure two families would soon have when their grandfather, father, uncle, brother, husband, and son finally came home.

It's been over ten years since I took this photo on a rainy, cool May afternoon. I hope these two men have finally made it home to their loved ones.

And when I wrote War Remains, I made sure to include a scene of this ceremony, not just for the story, but also to remind readers of all those grandfathers, fathers, uncles, brothers, husbands, and sons--still waiting to come home.

Until They Are Home

Motto of the Joint Prisoners of War Missing in Action Accounting Command

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...