Bio

Sunday, November 28, 2010

A war was once fought here

"Massacre Valley" -- Hoengsong, South Korea


Earlier this month, I went to Hoengsong north of Wonju to visit "Massacre Valley" a Korean War battlefield that was the sight of a major battle from February 11-13, 1951 and one that figured prominently in my novel.





This a monument/memorial dedicated to the US Second Infantry Division




The inscription on the back of the monument/memorial



There's an interesting sidebar to my trip to Hoengsong to visit this monument. I had no idea where it was located; I had come across a photo of it in the Korean War book, Wonju: The Gettysburg of the Korean War. I kind of figured that the monument/memorial would be located somewhere in "Massacre Valley" but I wasn't sure where. While riding in a car, heading north through the valley, I just happened to glance to my left when I saw the monument/memorial on a small bluff overlooking a stream bed.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...